Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Round Here

I'm a fairly young guy. Late twenties. So if I were to hand you my Ipod and you looked through each song I think you'd be surprised. And I think the reason you'd be surprised is because of the music I actually have jammed in there. First let me say that I would have none of these artists in the IPOD if it weren't for the IPOD itself. It allows you to hold so much music, some you'll never listen to, some you will and love and some you'll discover. Who knew that Eric Clapton would be one of my favorite musicians in the world? After growing up and listening to nothing but Rap / Hip - Hop you'd think that's all I would know. But now, I know alot more.

Examples:
I know that I enjoy the Acoustic guitar over the Electric one. Even though the electric one rocks balls the quiet tight strings on a acoustic guitar make the best natural sound for me. Gimme a stool, a liter of Whiskey, a pack of stoges and acoustic anyday of the week. Stain'd comes to mind.

I know the harmonica is a kickass wind instrument that can turn a hook into a dancing ballad faster than you can say Tom Petty. I mean if I listened to "Mary Jane's Last Dance" when I was 15 years old I would have destroyed the walkman right there on the spot. Now it's in heavy rotation.

And Clapton my god. What a genius.

Now I ain't abandoning hip-hop because I still love it, not so much the new stuff cuz for the most part the new stuff is unoriginal but I've matured waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy beyond my years when it comes to other genres.

I'll list some artists that I listen to often that I never thought I would ever listen too. Feel free to write "________ sucks" in the comment section cuz that never gets old. (This is outside of the usual bands that most people and I like, for example : Red Hot Chilli Peppers, U2, Linkin Park, Green Day, etc.)

Eric Clapton
John Lennon
Counting Crows
Arcade Fire
Incubus
Rise Against
Tom Petty
Snow Patrol
Joseph Arthur
Johnny Cash
Bloc Party
Al Green
Don McLean
Billy Joel
The Rat Pack
Miles Davis
Phish
Sting
Velvet Revolver
Weezer

To name a few. Now I know there are bands that come out every five minutes and I know that the music never stops but there is no way I can keep up, even with a 30G IPOD to store it all on. There is not 48 hours in a day unfortunately.

Maybe one day I could contribute or amass myself to a Top 500 songs list or something. And this should all genres. From The Notorious BIG to Jerry Garcia I might be able to cover it all.

10 comments:

Steph said...

I have Randy Travis on my Ipod. Don't tell anyone though.

Anonymous said...

You didn't grow up on old shit? I find that odd.

I know too many cats that have never heard of ANY of the all-time greats. Some times I'll put on our classic rock station or the oldies station at work and just quiz the people at work on who they know.

Some people just insist on wasting the space in their brains.

Mama en Fuego said...

Clapton is the man. I have quite the collection myself. What I want to listen to depends on what I'm doing.

When I'm working out, has to be techno or hip/hop.

When I'm driving it's got to be oldies.

When I'm dancing around the kitchen with my baby, it's got to be disco.

Crassius Maximus said...

Velvet Revolver is underrated.

I dig alot of old stuff, too, Hendrix, Rolling Stones. Led Zeppelin, Cameo, The Gap Band to name a few..

El Padrino said...

deke i did but not clapton
my mom was a disco queen so there was that and dad bumped jim hendrix and pink floyd mostly

i aslo grew up listening to alot of oldies

like elvis, beach boys etc.

Mama got music timed. I like it.

steph your secret is safe, this is the tree of trust

crass, hendrix was a nasty mofo too

Los said...

What, no Stones????? Eh, they aren't for everyone, I guess.

I've said this before - you should listen to some Electric Six.

El Padrino said...

gotta get on that electric six

hate the stones

i listened to tito puente this am

Anonymous said...

My buddy Jabby absolutely killed The Stones for me(and some Led Zep). He got the 40 Licks double-discer and played it the fuck out. Multiple times I thought about stealing it and breaking it.

He didn't kill Beast Of Burden or Sympathy For The Devil, though. Nobody could fuck those up for me.

The best part is, his dad & brother know he killed them for me and they're not thrilled about it.

Anonymous said...

"hate the stones"

But what about the Fab 4? I swear on my life, if you don't like 'em, and I ever see you I will slap you. Not out of hate, but out of principle. I've done it before.

Anonymous said...

I hear Barry Manilow iz comin' out with "Barry Sings the BEST of Led Zeppelin"...jus' lettin' ya know...No thanx necessary...