Monday, April 12, 2010

Parents Cliche 101

Did something I thought I'd never do. Used a parenting cliche thought I would never. So my kid loves the park. Duh all kids love the park. Problem with my kid is she NEVER WANTS TO leave and pretty much let's everyone know that she doesnt want to leave. So after a stern negotiation in which she used the "Beggin Hand Gesture", sort of like this, which is ridiculously cute and buys her at least 10 more minutes minimum I finally dragged her out of the park. Again, she's vocal about this, crying and carrying on. So I had enough of the crying and after making it 3 blocks with her crying I couldnt take it anymore and blurted this out:

"You want me to give you something to cry about?"

Wow. Thought I'd never say that shit. That is old school. My mother said it, my father said it. My grandmother said it, my grandfather said it. I heard my cousins parents (aunt & uncles) say it. I've heard my sister say it to her kids (my nieces). I vowed to parent differently. I vowed not to use cliches. All that went out the window the minute I uttered that sentence. I'm a fraud. But you know what? THAT SHIT WORKED.

When I said that to her she whined, "no". And stopped fucking crying. Unreal. Those old fucks know their shit man.

5 comments:

york said...

If you think about it, the little crumb snatchers are just learning psychology themselves. There's no real reason for her to be crying three blocks after you left, that was a straight up test by her. And you passed.

Of course if that was me carrying on, I would've caught myself a backhand, but those were gentler times...

Jets = bomb squad

El Padrino said...

Jets are like the Jailblazers now

york said...

Right. Because they added two players wit attitude. Hate on.

El Padrino said...

let's not forget the jets were gifted the playoffs last year.....

Los said...

Brought me back to my childhood!