Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Day Cho Happened

VT Remembers.

Quick eery story, I drove right past the exit for Blacksburg, VA on April 16, 2007 after hearing the local news radio break the story of the tragedy that unfolded earlier that morning. I was driving down to Franklin, North Carolina to visit my mother. We had stopped at a Cracker Barrel for lunch in a strip mall somewhere in Virgina (forgot the name think it was Salem) and when I got back into the car, we turned on the radio because the IPOD lost it's juice and I forgot my CD's. Only to hear that a Virgina Tech student, calmly opened fire upon students and faculty killing 32 of them. I quickly said to myself man I wonder if that's close to hear. Knowing from College Football that Va Tech is in a town called Blacksburg we went back to Interstate 81 having no idea we would pass the University. What a eery feeling. Listening to people call in to the radio, crying, telling stories, etc. Then passing the exit, a cold crisp air took over, through the trees you can see some buildings, not knowing if the University is actually that close to the Interstate but that didn't matter. For a minute we felt compelled to get off the exit and check out the area. Choosing not to we kept on going, sort of silent and sad.

Just totally weird that I was in the area when this national tragedy happened. My heart sincerely goes out to anyone that may have lost a family or friend 2 years ago.

No comments: