Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Handicapping the Oscars

Since I love movies and pretty much hate award shows not named MTV, allow me to handicap the Oscars before Vegas does. I'll also pick the winners now (or at least who I think should win), which means bet against me cuz Notes on a Scandal is something I would never see.

Best Picture (I've only seen "The Departed"):
Babel (10-1)
The Departed (15-1)
Letters From Iwo Jima (4-1)
Little Miss Sunshine (20-1)
The Queen (8-1)

El Pad's choice : Babel to me seems like a Crash copycat but on a international scale. Letter from Iwo Jima must be better than the American story out of "Flags of Our Fathers" , they say the emotion and character potrayal of the Japanese is incredible.

Best Actor
Leo DiCaprio, "Blood Diamond" (50-1)
Ryan Gosling, "Half Nelson" (60-1)
Peter O'Toole, "Venus" (15-1)
Will Smith, "The Pursuit of Happyness" (3-2)
Forest Whitaker, "The Last King of Scotland" (10-1)

El Pad's choice : DiCaprio has not a shot, he was better in The Departed. It's a two man race between Smith and Whitaker. I'm going with the even money bet of Will Smith. He thought he was a shoo-in for Ali but that was not as good as this.

Best Actress
Penelope Cruz, "Volver" (90-1)
Judi Dench, "Notes on a Scandal" (3-1)
Helen Mirren, "The Queen" (4-1)
Meryl Streep, "The Devil Wears Prada" (3-2)
Kate Winslet, "Little Children" (25-1)

El Pad's choice : Gotta go with the favorite (Streep). I think she won the Globe for this one as well. The quiet dame Judi Dench will give her a run for her money though.

Best Supporting Actor
Alan Arkin, "Little Miss Sunshine" (30-1)
Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children" (20-1)
Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond" (25-1)
Eddie Murphy, "Dreamgirls" (5-1)
Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed" (12-1)

El Pad's choice : I'm going with the upset pick here. I think the Academy will reward Hounsou for his performance in Blood Diamond. The whole conflict diamond issue is a pretty big deal in hollywood these days.

Best Supporting Actress
Adriana Barraza, "Babel" (5-1)
Cate Blanchett, "Notes On A Scandal" (3-1)
Abigail Breslin, "Little Miss Sunshine" (10-1)
Jennifer Hudson, "Dreamgirls" (1-2)
Rinko Kikuchi, "Babel" (50-1)

El Pad's choice : Although I want to take the longshot cuz her name is pronounced "Ka-coochie", it seems like the Academy is already giving it to Hudson for her Effie White performance.

Best Director
Clint Eastwood, "Letters From Iwo Jima" (5-1)
Stephen Frears, "The Queen" (65-1)
Paul Greengrass, "United 93", (6-1)
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, "Babel" (12-1)
Martin Scorcese, "The Departed" (10-1)

El Pad's choice : Well, I would love for Marty to win. He's deserved it the last two times he was nominated. The only thing that's stopping him is the Academy's love for tragedy. It's a two dog race between him and Greengrass for United 93. I hope Marty gets it, overdue.

For all other categories here is the official list. I can't pick them all......
Oscar's 07'

7 comments:

El Padrino said...

looks at my kingdom and i'm finally there, to sit on my throne, as the prince of bel-air

El Padrino said...

they love stories like that pursuit movie, im tellin ya
prepare for

Will Smith, the Academy Award Winner!!

The Rev said...

I don't think Will is a shoo in.

I'm thinking Marty is though.

Anonymous said...

The Oscars bother me because movies that I would never dream of seeing always seem to win.

Steph said...

All those movies are crap except Little Miss Sunshine. Nuff said.

El Padrino said...

no, not all steph

los - expand your horizons

rev- you may be right

Spaceman Spiff said...

helen mirren won the globe for best actress, and at the globes, she looked like she had nice globes, for a geezer.

I think whitaker is the fave, oscars have been loving actors playing real people like reese witherspoon as june cash, jamie foxx as ray, that guy as capote, probly helen mirren as queen. if will smith couldnt win it as ali, i dont think hell get it