Sunday, June 27, 2010

gehtto lunch

Macaroni and butter. Tomato sandwich. Kraft Macaroni and Cheese? Ramen noodles with leftover chicken cutlets? Cucumber in pita bread? Syrup sandwich? Jiffy corn muffins? Buttered Matzoh with honey? Classic PB & J? Rice and beans? Boiled potato smashed with butter or with tomatoes. Grilled cheese. Fried baanana (tostone or amarillo).

What was your favorite ghetto ass lunch mom used to hook you up with in the summer?

I ate all of the above growing up. And looking back, knowing what it's like to struggle a bit financially I can see why I was fed like a war torn Irish immigrant. Put I also appreciate what my parents did and don't tell anyone this but I crave some of that poor food today.

8 comments:

Christina said...

I ate most of that stuff too!!! You forgot Cream Cheese and Jelly sandwiches!

Christina said...

Oh and the Lipton Soup packets. The little stupid O's that you just mix with hot water. They even had fake green things in them. were they supposed to be oregano or parsley? ghetto.

El Padrino said...

lipton soup was incredible

good call

El Padrino said...

farsley, fake parsley

Los said...

My mom used to give me hot dogs on white toast ... and even sometimes on rye bread ... blech!

Meiz said...

Liver

Keef said...

shit on a shingle

Christina said...

omg hot dogs on white bread cuz there were no buns. GROSSSS!!! the bread would get soggy from the hot dog juice. BLEHHH. I remember the nights when my mom had nothing else in the house so she would make potatoes and eggs. I still make it to this day and is delish!!!