Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Television Set

Think of how much cable changed the game of TV. Remember when TV was a treat. Like you had your shows lined up for the week and they were all special. Your mom would make sure you were fed, bathed and in bed by 10pm to make sure she didn't miss Knots Landing or Dallas.

I'll give you a list of shows I remember watching as a kid/teenager.

Cosby Show, The Wonder Years, Doogie Howser, The Simpsons, Saved By The Bell, Full House, Family Matters, Cheers, Who's The Boss, Night Court, 227, Growing Pains, MacGyver, Mr. Belveder, Charles in Charge, Small Wonder, Matlock, Perfect Strangers, A Different World, Married...With Children, Murphy Brown, Roseanne, Webster, Different Strokes, Three's Company, In Living Color, Wings, Parker Lewis Can't Lose, Beverly Hills 90210, Step-By-Step, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Hangin With Mr. Cooper, Living Single, Boy Meets World, Frasier, NYPD Blue, Law and Order. (I'm sure I'm missing some).

That's about it as Cable started to draw in my genre. MTV debuted The Real World in 1992 and that slowly changed the game, rapidly changed by the new millennium. If you were middle class and your parents allowed it, you had cable. And you pretty much stopped watching network TV. Despite there being a ton of good stuff on network TV over the course of the years I rarely watch it. Sports has alot too do with that but even if I'm not watching a game I can't remember the last time I recorded a show on network TV to watch later. And please I know the Office and 30 Rock and (insert name of good tv show here) are on network TV and solid shows but cable has better programming. I hate when people say there is nothing on. Bullshit. There is always something good on to watch. ALWAYS. If all else fails you can always watch a lion rip the throat out of a zebra.

3 comments:

Los said...

Love my cable ... and my DVR ... now, DVR really changed the game.

Christina said...

let me add....
sesame street, romper room, mr. rogers, fraggle rock, the smurfs, the A-Team, 21 Jump Street, ALF, Family Ties and Growing Pains =)

El Padrino said...

good call